Sega has released another round of fixes for Sonic Origins, including its dismal collection of classic Sonic platformers, this time focusing on Sonic the Hedgehog 2''s spooky Tails AI.
Sonic Origins was, to put it in the midst of the politeness, a bit of a bump when it was launched earlier this year, and was subjected to enough presentational and technical issues - as extensively documented by Digital Foundry''s John Linneman - that its developer criticized Sega, saying it was "very dissatisfied" with the state in which it was built.
Sega has been working to correct some of the game''s most serious issues, and its latest update - officially known as update 1.04 - leads with an attempt to mitigate an widely reported AI issue that would repeatedly cause Tails to go off-screen in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, unable to rejoin the action.
Patch 1.04 has provided a number of other unexpected (and undocumented) bug fixes, as well as corrections to several incorrect soundtrack names in the museum, and an update to the Blue Sphere music, which is intended to speed it up.
1.04 isn''t all bug fixes, but it also makes a number of new Sonic Mania codes compatible with Sonic the Hedgehog 3''s sound test feature, according to TheOcelot01 on Twitter:
6214 - disables Super Sonic music. 19790811 - transforms all enemies into "Ricky" when defeated 19921124 - infinite continues (works in Classic Mode) 20170815 - fly while Super Sonic (Egg Reverie Movement) 19930923 - activates Super Peel-Out 47891 - converts all item-boxes into "Sonic The Hedgehog 3" - removes all rings, item boxes, and special stage rings 19940306 - disables Sonic drop
- 6214 - disables Super Sonic music.
- 19790811 - turns all enemies into squirrels "Ricky" when defeated
- 19921124 - infinite continues (works in Classic Mode)
- 20170815 - fly while Super Sonic (Egg Reverie Movement)
- 19930923 - activates Super Peel-Out
- 47891 - turns all item-boxes into question mark item-boxes so what you get is random
- 19910623 - changes flame, bubble, and lightning item boxes into Sonic 2 shields
- 00000000 - removes all rings, item boxes, and special stage rings
- 19940202 - changes title screen and zone title cards to "Sonic The Hedgehog 3", removing "& Knuckles"
- 19900306 - turns all badniks into the Penguin badnik from Ice Cap
- 32160 - gives Sonic drop dash and insta-shield in Competition mode, gives normal 1 player mode physics in Competition mode, allows Knuckles to glide in Competition mode
The 1.04 release for Sonic Origins is now available on all platforms.